Wednesday, 25 February 2009

More Dahon D7 Mods Coming Soon

I’ve decided to increase the reach on the Dahon by modifying the handle post and adding a standard MTB stem. 

I’ve been looking at the arrangement on the Bike Friday Tikit and it allows you to pretty much set up a folder to mirror the fit of your standard bike.  

I’ve always measured reach using the old fashioned biometric measurement:

  • Put the tip of your elbow at the tip of the saddle
  • Reach your outstretched hand and fingers towards the handlebar. 
  • Place your other hand perpendicular to that hand with the fingers flat. 
  • Your primary hand-hold on the bars should be in line with the outer edge of your little finger.

Using this method on the Dahon, I calculate that I’ll need a 90mm MTB stem to attain the reach that I’ve got on my MTB and Tourer. I’ll probably need a 15 degree rise to get the right handlebar height, because this mod will mean taking the hacksaw to the top of the handle post and sawing off the QR handlebar clamp. The measurement of the upper part of the Radius Telescope post is 28.6mm, which happens to be 1 1/8 inch, which means a standard ahead stem will clamp on just fine. 

The fold will be affected, but all it will mean is that I’ll need to pull the bar and stem right out and place the whole unit between the folded frame when folded. This won’t make the folding process any slower or the folded package much bigger.  

What it will mean is that I can get a proper Tikit sized riding position without forking out £800 for a new bike.  

I’m going to trial the setup tonight and ride it for a few days before taking the plunge of:

A: buying a stem

B: (scarier) sawing the top off my existing handle post! 

No comments: