Tuesday, 17 February 2009

Primal Blueprint Day One


Spent last night reading Mark Sisson's excellent interview in the Rivendell Reader and I'm really struck with the Primal Blueprint exercise and diet concept.

Mark is a former endurance athlete and expert in nutrition and exercise, best known for his site Mark's Daily Apple. On his site, Mark has built a community of like minded individuals who have followed his regimen of low carb eating and exercise focussed squarely in the fat burning zone.

The primal bit comes in because the dietary and exercise patterns mirror that of the hunter-gatherer, whose diet would have been mostly protein and fat based, and who would have engaged in lots of low level aerobic exercise. 

My exercise habits tend to follow the Primal Blueprint laws which are:

  1. Move frequently at a slow pace
  2. Lift heavy things
  3. Run really fast once in a while

However my diet has always tended towards the high carb bread, pasta, rice and potato focussed diet that is everywhere in our culture and which only became the fuel of choice when hunter gatherers became farmers, planting grains or starchy tubers and using these as their staple. According to Primal Blueprint theory, that's when the rot set in. 

I'm going to blog my progress on the Primal Blueprint and let you know how I get on. 

Here are my starting stats: 

  • Height: 6ft
  • Weight: 14st 5lbs
  • BP: 120/68
  • Body Fat: 27%
  • BMI: 28

I've limited my carbs for the last 24 hours, eating plenty of oily fish, vegetables and just getting minimal carbs from fruit. Weird thing is I don't feel hungry at all... 

Time will tell but I think this could change my relationship with food for life. I'm that excitied. 

More info:  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/ 

 

No comments: