Wednesday, 11 February 2009

Today's Commute Home



Another moral victory for the Dahon. Really questioning whether I’ll ever use the full size commuter bike again 

Had one of those magical evening rides that you get every now and again. A crisp evening – clear skies and a glowing sunset. Took the canal route into town – the water in parts still frozen, but in other parts, clear, still and glistening like it never could in the day. 

The Dahon continues to amaze me in what it can handle. There are a few sections on the canal route (the Ashton Canal) between Manchester velodrome and Manchester City Centre, where you’ve got steep, rough cobbled ramps, next to the locks. One in particular has got a constant stream running down it and a couple of front wheel grabbing channels. However, the nimble front wheel of the Dahon can be steered around obstacles quickly and accurately, whereas a slower-steering bike would plough through clumsily. I’m glad to say that I’m totally dialled in to the telepathic steering on the bike and now using it to my advantage. I think with Schalbe Big Apples on a 2 inch width, things would be even more interesting.  

Got to the station just as the train was pulling in – one of those times when you really put the manufacturer’s claimed 15 second folding time to the test. Suffice to say that I’m on the train now as I’m typing this, and the Dahon is sitting pretty in the baggage rack.

No comments: